Thursday, May 21, 2009

Black Gay Pride???

I went to my first Pride celebration when I was 15 yrs old. I told my mom I was going to the movies, instead, I hopped on the train ,and went right to Banneker Field. I didn't know what I was going to see. I only remember a man with white spandex on and what looked like a small animal warmly nestled in his crotch, how sweet?I felt shorter than everyone I saw, even my friends. I didn't feel out of place. One other thing I remember was a collection water jug being filled with donations for an organization. Everyone seemed to graciously give what they had. It occured to me then, how important it was to have a community, or at least people that had your back. I don't feel that anyone has my back now. Pride has a negative connotation for me now. I don't understand how I can be from DC, know the President of the organization, lend my services to help, and still not know anything about Pride events before hand. I don't have to talk to family to know what is going on. I hear more random goings on than any person that I know. I have not heard one thing about black pride. I know its out there somewhere. DO you care? Let it be known

No comments:

Post a Comment