Monday, March 9, 2009

Its official Hip Hop is in the cultural stratosphere!

Shinique Smith had a Graffitti themed Installation at the Studio Museum in Harlem. The Roots are the house band for Jimmy Fallon's Late Night Show. "Recognize" broke attendance records at the National Portrait Gallery. Kehinde Wiley , world famous Portrait artist, just opened a studio in China! And today I saw Lil Wayne in the National Museum of African Art.

I haven't been to the Freer Gallery of African Art in years. I decided it would be great way to spend the afternoon, considering the cost. I am always curious at the lack of attendance to the Smithsonian. Some exhibits are better than any $15concert, $10 movie, or $1 beer. Artists in Dialogue: Antonio Ole and Aime Mpane is one. Lil Wayne pops up in this exhibit via a piece that Mpane created in collaboration with local Washington youth. From what I read, Mpane during a class invited the youth to select playing cards that had been painted over white. The selected cards were then used as canvases for doodles that communicated the youths feelings about race. Lil Wayne's name was written above a figure complete with sunglasses, long hair, and a skull cap. What surprised me was that I recognized the figure in such a thumbnail and abstract fashion.
Be sure to check out this exhibit! It runs through August 02, 2009.

It occurred to me that Hip-Hop was completing an ascendancy. I am planning with every friend and Okay player citizen I know, to get to the Late Show. I actually tuned in to watch Lil Kim do a Cha Cha, and not show her Chacho! I'm a little worried by what is next. Is there a Hard Knocks Cafe ( Trademark Pending) on the way? Will I be seeing Kimberly Jones " Lil Miss Finishing Schools"? Are the Roots going to be able to stay Hip-Hop and change the American Songbook. The possibilities are endless. Entrepreneurs break out your Crystal Balls, and get ahead of this trend.

1 comment:

  1. Chile, their little minds are already turning trying to figure out how to make more money off hip-hop. Lil Kim on 'Dancing with the Stars" was a ke-ke. I live!

    ReplyDelete